Saturday, December 24, 2005

Christmas Eve confession

Forgive me, father, for I have sinned. It has been 17 years, 13 months, 32 days, and 28 hours since my last confession.

My sins: In eight hours, I'm expected at my parents' place for Christmas Eve dinner, but I still haven't bought any presents. I don't know, I'm just not in the mood to buy presents. I did go to the malls twice this week, they weren't even all that crowded, but I just couldn't do it. Consumerism isn't in me. That holiday connection has eluded me. So, can I be forgiven for single-handedly allowing the American economy to flounder? George Bush once said that I can do my part in the War on Terror by shopping 'til I drop dead for this country. This was before he asked all those soldiers to go to Iraq and drop dead.

Furthermore, I haven't sent out a single Christmas card this year. Oh, I wanted to, I planned to, I even promised to send some out. But I didn't. Can I maybe send out New Year's cards instead? I have all these 37-cent stamps that'll be worthless in a couple of days. I don't use them anymore now that I on-line pay all my bills.

Why haven't I sent cards? Well, I seem a little stumped. Along with holiday greetings, all my friends are sending pictures of their babies these days. Yeah, so I've received all these pictures of pure happiness, other people's happiness, while I have very little to share with them. What am I supposed to do, take a picture of my computer and send that? I probably spend as much time on this damn thing as they do with their little ones. So, yeah, it's been that kind of year. Another one of those kinds of years.

Can I be forgiven for turning into a grumpy old man? A grinch? Oh, another thing, father. If there's another thing, another sin, but I don't want to say it out loud, will I still be forgiven? That's not the way it works, is it? Oh well, maybe I'll come clean next year ...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to make it easier on you, I'll take a pair of those L socks.

BTW, isn't your niece YOUR happines, too? We can share.

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. I think the cards that I did actually write are locked up where I work, my gifts to my family were right off their detailed Amazon wish-lists (otherwise they will be returned), and I actually "bah-humbug-ed" someone at a mall last weekend. I'm with family, and I love them, but my brother has his happy family and his new McMansion and well paying job and really,I'm happy for him but I hate to admit this, I'm jealous. Everyone I know is engaged or married or just bought a new place and I can't even get a date... Am I that repulsive in looks and personality? But now I have my nephew who just crawled up on my lap and who won't care what I get him for Christmas and who only wants to help me type and I think it's going to be better. Right?

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Giveth of thyself my son, and thee shall be forgiven.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe comparing yourself to others is a oneway ticket to unhappiness... You will find someone Andy... You've probably stop looking at the brightside... but that will be your salvation(this goes to adp too)
Merry X-mas and have a great New Year...

11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww, poor you!

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm done feeling sorry for myself. I'm headed out to stand undersome mistletoe for a couple of hours in this very rural area. The first guy that comes up to me without overalls on I'll give my number to. Merry/Happy your holiday of choice, everyone!

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We purposely decided to stop the Xmas guilt by not giving it any importance in our lives. (except as a day off.) We seem to be able to do that for all the other holidays - do you feel guilty for not honoring Pulaski on Pulaski day?? or the vets on veterans day?? NOOO!! (ok, I do feel a little guilty on that day...)
So why do we let Xmas guilt-trip us?? NO MORE!! We ALL need to stop playing into this. All our guilt does is fuel the economy, but does it really let others understand the true depth of feelings we have for each other? Live each day the best you can and shove that xmas spirit right up .... You get the idea.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're not an old man

1:40 PM  
Blogger Marley said...

hmmm, i believe i was one of those people that you promised a christmas card... the promised bribe of passing on your blog. but you're forgiven as i too understand the loss of christmas spirit as i get older. but i am still happy at the chance i get every year to see and spend time with people who are special to me, even if they might have forgotten.

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home