Saturday, February 18, 2006

Why are there frozen puddles on the roads?

Back on December 2, before the snow and cold hit, I wondered why the city refuses to clear the streets of leaves. Back then, I wrote:
The leaves are then going to stay in the gutters until removed. And until they are removed, they will clog up the sewers, causing major slush and frozen puddles for the duration of winter, which usually lasts five or six months. As someone who walks to work, I'm getting a little tired of wet shoes and socks because someone forgot to prevent puddles.
Well, it's now February, we just had rain, then a tiny little bit of snow, so the city dumped tons of salt everywhere, and here's a typical crosswalk on my way to work:


Yup, the sewers are blocked by leaves.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was heading home Thurday in the pouring rain, I ended up walking in the middle of the street most of the time because daggone tributaries of the Mississippi River were rushing past every crosswalk.

Just in case you care, there are grants available for community or school organizations to create "rain gardens" which are supposed to help reduce run-off.

10:01 AM  
Blogger teacherman said...

they cleaned your street in January?
you must live somewhere near Daley or the Bla-governor!

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year I was walking home and the drains down the street from my house were drained due to my neighbors raking their leaves into the streets. When I got home I grabbed my rake and after maybe 5 minutes I cleared the drain myself. I guess I could have spent all the time calling 311 and waiting a month for the response. I guess the moral of the story is why wait for someone to do the work that you could do easily yourself.
For a city that prides itself "the city that works" it should be "do it right do it yourself"

1:53 PM  
Blogger teacherman said...

not such a bad idea, but you have to admit i'd look a little weird walking to work with a rake in hand

8:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home