Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Top 5 Valentine's Day movies from my DVD collection

5. tied: Before Sunrise/Before Sunset: Yes, true love is possible in one 24-hour period. Twice. Love of travel, that is.

4. Ghost World: How can you not love a movie featuring Scarlett Johansson? Or a movie where a teenage girl falls in love with Steve Buscemi? This movie has both!

3. tied: Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Triplets of Belleville: On the surface, both seem like kids' movies. But, actually, they're both about a young man's love of his bicycle.

2. Tampopo: A Japanese movie about ramen, truck drivers, and love ... kinky love featuring food. Yum.

1. Harold and Maude: An 18-year-old suicidal nutcase falls in love with a spritely 79-year-old thief/protester/philosopher. She ends up killing herself, but not before they transplant a tree, sing Cat Stevens songs, and make sweet, sweet love.

And people say I'm not romantic.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sabrina, English Patient, anything with dark, moody men - ahhh, to be young again!!! (course I married my dark, moody man and guess what?? He turns out to be like every other man, except he's mine!)

8:27 AM  
Blogger Tony said...

Ghost World. Nice! My picks:

-High Fidelity (because I am Rob Gordon)

-Garden State (yes, I know everyone hates it, but...)

-Manhattan (Woody Allen and a teenage girl ALMOST beats out Steve Buscemi and a teenage girl)

-True Romance (a rather conservative couple I knew in college borrowed this from me--they hadn't seen it before--for Valentines Day, thinking it was a romantic comedy or something. They didn't speak to me for a month.)

9:18 AM  
Blogger teacherman said...

Ah yes, High Fidelity is a good one. Someone must have borrowed my copy because I didn't see it in my collection today. Garden State is also one of those movies I can watch over and over, even on long flights when I really just want to sleep. As for True Romance, maybe I'll have to rent it for my romantic evening encounters tonight ...

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home