Tuesday, December 27, 2005

FC1 Western Ave. Stop 6: Rosehill Cemetery

Anytime I find myself thinking I'm the least bit important, I head over to Rosehill, the largest cemetery in Chicago. Thousands of Chicagoans are buried here, many of whom were important or rich enough to get elaborate tombs or even mosoleums built in their honor. As I wander around the 350-acre property, reading the names on all those gravestones, I realize that I don't recognize a single one. (Well, that's not entirely true: Oscar Mayer, Montgomery Ward, and Richard Sears are interred here, though I've never spotted their graves. Also a guy named Charles Gates Dawes, but I'm sure that name doesn't ring a bell.) Here today, gone tomorrow, I guess. If I ever end up at Rosehill, I hope it's for the cremation services.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gonna end up there. My husband and I decided to get a personal tour and found 2 spots for sale right in front of an illegal statue. Turns out that relatives of the deceased sneaked into Rosehill with the mold, poured and partied all night long. The curators never did have the heart to tear down the statue, so when we heard there were 2 plots for sale, we bought. It's outside of the new Target so my "heirs" can shop and visit. A little entranceway is off of Peterson and goes right pass the plots so there's no reason not to stop by, even on their way to and from work. Ok, it may be morbid but I'd rather make these decisions now and not have the kids fight over what we really wanted. Let them fight over our money instead.

3:49 PM  
Blogger teacherman said...

I don't think that's morbid at all ... I think it was very considerate of you, especially in light of the new Target going in across the street. Speaking of which, is that going to be the world's largest Target or what?

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Driving by it certainly gives you that impression, doesn't it?

1:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home