Friday, January 20, 2006

Art attacks Chicago in USA Today yesterday

Frequent Daley Show commenter and trouble-maker art attack was quoted in a USA Today story yesterday that dealt with old water tanks and other disappearing landmarks.

"We're losing a lot more than just buildings," the benefits administrator and amateur archivist who spends his spare time taking photos of disappearing landmarks said as he documented the ruins of Pilgrim Baptist Church. "We're losing the soul of the city."

He's known for hyperbole and typos, but if you hear him say it, Art was taking pictures of the burned-down church when the reporter approached him and asked what he thought. He gave her his spiel about how Mayor Daley is allowing all the beautiful crumbling buildings to be torn down and replaced by ugly new construction. She said, "Great story idea!" and off she went.

The story is worth a read, especially if you're one of those people (like me) that thinks USA Today doesn't even use complete sentences.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art attack was her inspiration for writing that story and all he got was a lousy blurb? PLUS she insulted him by calling him an amateur! A muse and abused!!!

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, she is definetely much more articulate than I am and so I am more then happy for just the blurb. But what I am even happier about is that a front page story was written in a national newspaper that deals with something that I am very passionate about. If this helps put something into motion at city hall to protect the character of this great city, I would be so happy.

10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's a better speller, too. :)

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Art attack has a typing deficiency, he can't help it. Also, when he handed me the column to read, I thought it was just another dinner conversation about old rusty crumbly things that are fun to take 1,000 pictures of. Then, lo and behold! I see art attack's name in print! For a split second I thought it was a fake newspaper. (Insert joke about the USA Today here). Then I was really proud.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, don't I feel like crap now...I didn't know about his typing deficiency. I'm so sorry. He's lucky to have such a supportive person by his side. And I am proud of his recent accomplishment. Forgive me.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home