Saturday, August 19, 2006

Does this really look like 1,000 people?

According to other sources, more than 1,000 turned out for the Republican Day at the state fair. Subtract the other candidates and members of the press, and you really had about 100. I asked a local photographer the next day about the inflated number, and he said that he's bad at estimating crowds, "but the reporter who wrote the article," he said before interrupting himself to talk to someone else.


But the reporter who wrote the article ... WHAT??
... asked the Topinka people how many people were there?
... looked at the photo (above) and multiplied by 20?
... took a wild guess?

Bonus question: Can you spot me in this Chicago Tribune photo?
(Charles Osgood photo)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you the guy with the beard at left?

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was there and I would say max 450 people. Not counting the wheel chair people and people on stage. Pathetic.

I saw coverage of her stop in Beardstown and there were like 10 people there. Hilarious.

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

450? I was there too and I find that hard to believe. Maybe it's because you counted before the speeches and I only started counting after the food was eaten and the speeches had begun. I wasn’t watching to see if people walked out but by the time Judy was rambling off the cuff and making me swear off politics there were not that many people there. Thankfully the beer was served until the very end.

The differently-abled people in the yellow t-shirts were not bussed in by the GOP. They are just politically active and were at the Dem rally too (so I was told). Nothing pathetic about that.

AP is not in the photo because (a) there is no Sox cap visible and (b) there are no blond female reporters either.

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home