Thursday, January 05, 2006

Guess this means we'll ticket gardeners

From a Newsweek piece on hybrid public transportation (Thanks C.H.):
Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley has proposed an ordinance requiring any fleet owner with 50 or more medallions to have at least one hybrid or alternative-fuel vehicle by June 2007. "Mayor Daley's goal is to have the greenest city in America," says Norma Reyes, commissioner of the Department of Consumer Services, which oversees taxis.

Don't know why this makes me scratch my head (one hybrid vehicle!?), but aren't we already the dog-friendliest and bicycle-friendliest city in North America? And don't Chicago cops already hand out tickets to dog owners and cyclists for various reasons?

What'll all this mean when we become the greenest city?
Tickets if your lawn is uncared for?
Fines if your rooftop garden has weeds? (Or weed?)
Required sprinkling on the Fourth of July?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that mean they actually have to drive that hybrid?? Or can it sit in the garage with the broken down taxis? I'm confused, but I know I contribute to the green. I put in a sprinkler system and no matter what, drought or rain, my lawn still gets a sprinkling in the middle of the night.

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that the way the city is moving with the whole greening thing it is great. I wish more places would do it but I think Daley, as always is concentrating on the north side and downtown to the detriment of the poorer west and south sides.

Andy - PLEASE give me a call - art attack

6:25 PM  
Blogger Jonah said...

How many fleet owners with 50 or more medallions are there in the city?

7:11 PM  
Blogger teacherman said...

good question ... four? five? that's not that many hybrids, is it?

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home